All of us at Frause were so excited about starting a blog; we spent hours fighting over who would be responsible for the content. We drew straws, played rock paper scissors, even thumb wrestled for the honor. It turns out our interns have some strong thumbs (not to mention opinions). They also have the best opportunity to provide a “fly on the wall” look into the workings of Frause. Without further ado, we present Frause – through the eyes of our interns!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Almost Famous Kate Hudson

Hi, I am Kate Hudson (but no, Goldie Hawn is not my mom). I am Frause’s new autumn intern! I am in my senior year at Seattle University, majoring in strategic communications with an English minor. My life synopsis is best described by my Twitter handle: “Bred in Seattle. Lover of dogs, the Northwest outdoors, Puget Sound, Seattleites, travel, the news & the nonprofits I adore.” What my Twitter bio leaves out is how excited I am to be at Frause!

Dictionary.com’s first listed definition for the word intern is:

in•tern
verb (used with object)
1. To restrict to or confine within prescribed limits, as prisoners of war, enemy aliens, or combat troops who take refuge in a neutral country.

While I have been fortunate in my internship experiences, I have peers that have not been so lucky. Acquaintances have reported internships where supervisors lurk over every project or where tasks included taking out the garbage every Tuesday. For those friends, the internship experience was more in line with the aforementioned definition: an obligatory internment serving to only increase one’s job prospects after college.

My time at Frause will be no such thing.

This morning’s breakfast huddle—a morning meeting that sounds as if it was named after an athletic team’s early morning powwow to get energized—demonstrated for me how Frause is a team. A team of professionals that foster camaraderie and support, while encouraging wit. I felt welcomed and was encouraged to continually ask questions.

Throughout the rest of fall, I am eager to contribute to the office’s rapport I witnessed today in both the morning huddles and just walking down the alarmingly bright green halls. I anticipate that Frause will challenge me and dare me to inquire. I expect that I will learn. Maybe I’ll even get to teach.

Frause uses the tagline, “Not all internships are created equal.” While not all internships are created equal, neither are interns. I am enthusiastic to make my mark at Frause like no intern before.



-Kate Hudson

1 comment:

Erika Schmidt said...

We're glad to have you on the team. Don't know how you can pull of an internship while you are living with your husband in London. Amazing! :)