All of us at Frause were so excited about starting a blog; we spent hours fighting over who would be responsible for the content. We drew straws, played rock paper scissors, even thumb wrestled for the honor. It turns out our interns have some strong thumbs (not to mention opinions). They also have the best opportunity to provide a “fly on the wall” look into the workings of Frause. Without further ado, we present Frause – through the eyes of our interns!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Window of Opportunity


Frause’s intern desk is a small cubicle in the hallway between the reception desk and the conference room. While it is an unglamorous workstation, it is also a desk of opportunity. It is where I work on diverse client accounts and internal projects.

Every week is a professional adventure right from my keyboard and wheelie office chair. I have explored the ins and outs of the communications industry through online communications, public affairs, social media, community relations and media relations. I have researched, typed, brainstormed, compiled, evaluated, emailed and called. I have listened and been heard. I have gained experience in the industries of hospitality and tourism, consumer and retail, natural environment and community development. I regularly participate in meetings and have even had the opportunity to attend a press release workshop and tour the Gates Foundation.

With all that I have checked-off my revolving to-do list, the amazing thing is that I am only half-way into my internship with Frause. Everything I have learned, attempted and accomplished has been in just the last month and a half!

I have no delusion that the intern desk is glamorous, although I love the way working at Frause makes me feel like a grown-up. About two weeks ago, I printed out a picture of a window opening out to a tropical beach and taped it to the wall behind my monitor. This is my way of personalizing the intern desk, and pretending that I have a window whenever I glance up. During these moments when I glance up from my computer to my window, I reflect on the significance of my seat at the intern desk, and the long-term opportunity this seat in Frause’s hallway is providing my young career. It has become what I dubbed, “my window of opportunity.”

1 comment:

Emily Nauseda said...

Love the window idea! Your posts are really great, Kate. I hope you're enjoying the internship so far!