All of us at Frause were so excited about starting a blog; we spent hours fighting over who would be responsible for the content. We drew straws, played rock paper scissors, even thumb wrestled for the honor. It turns out our interns have some strong thumbs (not to mention opinions). They also have the best opportunity to provide a “fly on the wall” look into the workings of Frause. Without further ado, we present Frause – through the eyes of our interns!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Parting Words.

When I began my Frause internship back in April, I was told it would be shorter than the standard term, but I didn’t expect it would go by this quickly.

During my time here, I learned important PR tools and practices. I built media lists, wrote pitches, and drafted social media content. I also got to join a meeting with a freelance writer to pitch story ideas, participate in a product marketing brainstorm session, and conduct preliminary research for a future Frause publication. Throughout all of this, I received a firsthand understanding of the fast-paced inner-workings of an agency.

Beyond the PR realm, I gained significant practice in how to manage my time, both inside and outside the firm. Rather than simply clocking in and out, I was responsible for keeping track of my time spent on each client and project, holding myself accountable for every quarter-hour. This allowed me to see exactly how much time I was spending on a particular assignment. I discovered that if it was taking hours to finish something, typically this was because I was over-thinking it and in fact the task was much simpler than I had imagined. When giving advice to future Frause interns, every intern stresses the importance and value of asking questions. I certainly echo this; you’ll save yourself a lot of time in the long run!

Fitting both a full class schedule and 20 hours a week at Frause into the five-day work week was one of the biggest struggles I encountered over the quarter. There were days when I had class in the morning, immediately followed by work, with meetings and a night class to round out my evening. Having only the weekend and an occasional evening to complete my coursework, I learned to make the most of the little time I had available.

The best part of my internship at Frause has been the experience and understanding I’ve gained through working alongside such an amazing team. I’ve especially appreciated the supportive, cohesive and fun environment Frause provides in addition to the wealth of PR knowledge available within these walls.

While I am sad to be leaving Frause, I am about to embark on a new adventure! Less than two weeks from today, I will have traveled nearly 7,000 miles across a time difference of nine hours to spend my summer vacationing in Israel. When I return in August, I will have the opportunity to reconnect with the Frause team at the company picnic—so this isn’t goodbye just yet!

-Emily Levine

No comments: